Yesterday was my birthday! I enjoyed a *healthy* birthday cake along with no sugar added coconut milk ice cream.
I am so grateful I got to celebrate my birthday with people I love without compromising my commitment to healthy eating. I get to have all the beautiful memories of a wonderful birthday.
I don’t have to deal with the negative physical effects of, or guilt about, eating sugary/refined flour cake/dessert. I don’t have to feel the emotional pain of deprivation.
This HEALTHY cake is absolutely delicious. Giving up added sugar and refined foods opens up a world of healthier options for you.
Recipe below. I linked some of the products I used. It makes 12 servings.
- 3 medium ripe bananas, with brown spots, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- Fresh berries, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line your chosen pan either with parchment paper or non stick spray. I sprayed a heart-shaped pan with organic olive oil.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add bananas, vanilla, and almond butter. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to the mixer. With mixer on medium-low speed, add coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into pan and smooth it. Bake it ~35 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before serving.
- If you like, serve it with mixed berries!